Darren Criss has been making Broadway audiences swoon (and packing the house at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre) as How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying's new window washer, so Broadway.com resident artist Justin ‘Squigs’ Robertson couldn't resist capturing the Glee star in action in his Main Stem debut. Criss plays J. Pierrepont Finch, a newly appointed mailroom clerk who attempts to climb the corporate ladder with help from a how-to book. Check out Squigs’ portrait of Broadway’s new heartthrob, guidebook in hand, then head to Broadway before January 22 to see Criss in this limited engagement.
About the Artist: With a desire to celebrate the magic of live theater and those who create it, and with a deep reverence for such touchstones as the work of Al Hirschfeld and the wall at Sardi’s, Squigs is happy and grateful to be among those carrying on the traditions where theater and caricature meet. He was born and raised in Oregon, lived in Los Angeles for quite a long time and now calls New York City his home. Click to e-mail Squigs.
19. Struck By Lighting:
The Film: Saved! director Brian Dannelly makes a welcome return to movies after spending the last eight years directing (quality) TV shows like Weeds, Pushing Daisies and The United States Of Tara.
It seems to have been worth the wait, as he’s assembled the likes of Christina Hendricks (Drive, Mad Men) and Dermot Mulroney for a tale about a man who dies after being hit by lightning.
If It Was Based On Something: It'd be a best-selling novel.
Lea Michele stopped by to chat with us backstage at the People's Choice Awards. The actress filled us in on what she'd like to see next for Rachel Berry on Glee and what guest stars and theme episodes we should expect to see on the show, including Bon Jovi, Ricky Martin, and a Michael Jackson episode.
THE KING OF POP REIGNS IN LIMA ON AN ALL-NEW “GLEE” TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, ON FOX
In a special episode celebrating the music of Michael Jackson, the rivalry between New Directions and the Warblers intensifies en route to Regionals. Meanwhile, Kurt and Rachel receive news regarding their admissions process at NYADA, and things continue to heat up between Sam and Mercedes in the all-new “Michael” episode of GLEE airing Tuesday, Jan. 31 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-311) (TV-14 D, L, S)
Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury; Dianna Agron as Quinn; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Heather Morris as Brittany; Harry Shum as Mike Chang and Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson.
Guest Cast: Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; Damian McGinty as Rory Flanagan; Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta.
There’s so much to love about the clip below from next week’s all new episode of Glee. In it, post-swim Sam (Chord Overstreet) is boasting to Finn (Cory Monteith) about his new membership on the synchronized-swimming team (buahaha!). Only to be warned by Finn that he has now made himself public slushy-target No. 1. Oh, Finn. How right you are.
See how the rest unfolds below. And you can deduce from the headline below that Mercedes comes into the picture.
We Found Love (Glee Cast Version)
Moves Like Jagger / Jumping Jack Flash (Glee Cast Version)
3x10 William Keck livetweets:
- Yes - Sam #chordoverstreet and Mercedes #amberriley fans are going to love this!!!
- Yay - Becky is back. Isnt she the best???
- Lol. By boy #chriscolfer Kurty is doo whopping with the ladies as he always prefers. And has a really funny line in Summer Nights. #Glee
- Omg. Omg. I didn’t know THAT was going to happen. I better run to Crate and Barrel now to buy someone a gift on their registry.
- #suesylvester #janelynch is in fine form. Had to go back and replay what she just called Coach Bieste - “(male celebrity) in a wig.” Lol!!
- #davidboreanaz #bones fans must watch next week’s #Glee He gets a great shout out from Sue #janelynch
- Shane who??
- So #Gleeks how do we feel about Sugar these days? Like or hate?
- Miss Emma Pilsbury #jaymamays kills it with her biggest song to date. Just lovely. A +++ This is the most romantic #Glee ever.
- Sort of HATE Sugar after what she just said to Artie. That was just uncalled for.
- ten minutes in #chordoverstreet makes his debut in red #baywatch swimtrunks. Will not disappoint his many fans.
- Oh - hello there Miss #neneleakes of #rhoa you’re just as good an actress as I expected you to be.
- Oh my God - wait till you hear what #neneleakes says to #chordoverstreet about his lips - AND NIPPLES and urination. Damn. No she din’t!!
- This is a big Artie #kevinmchale episode. He dances more in a wheelchair than most people can with two working legs. Just wait til MJ episod
- Hey #matthewmorrison - good to see you dancing again!!
- Oh oh. I have a feeling this episode is going to leave me in tears.
- Oooo. Santana #nayarivera just took a swipe at Terri Schuester But a funny one!
- Ahhh. Sweet moment with Santana #nayarivera and Brit #heathermorris. A glance can say SO much. Just keeps getting more and more romantic.
- Wow - Santana #nayarivera is showing some heart to Mercedes #amberriley in this episode. Nice to see her being a real friend.
- Lol. Well so much for Santana #nayarivera being sweet. She just called Becky a “sly, conniving bitch.”
- Whoa - I didn’t see THAT coming for Finn. Especially after what happened to his dad. Wait - what happened to his dad??? A mystery.
- Oh no - another heartbreaking scene. Where’s the Kleenex??
- Holy crap - Becky Jackson #laurenpotter did not just do that!!!! That’s just wrong.
- One of my fave lines - sue #janelynch to Artie #kevinmchale : “it’s a wheelchair, not a Porsche.”
- Oh now Emma is making me cry. What am I? A 12 year old girl?? Man up, Keck!
- NYADA finalists letters have gone out…
- WTF is Kurt #chriscolfer wearing on his collars at Breadsticks with Finchel?
- RE: Kurt and Blaine: @MPilarML so far just a shared glance during a Lea audition room scene
- Ha! Great new selection of Emma Pilsbury guidance counselor brochures. Keep an eye out.
- Va va voom. #nayarivera Santana and #msleamichele are rocking 1920’s vintage swiwmear.
- RE: Finn and Rachel: @enchanted21 well you of course must know there are certain things we’re not allowed to say
- Awww. Just perfect. Worth waiting two and a half years for that moment.
- Sometimes I just want to give #suesylvester a big hug. And there’s definitely one of those moments in this one. Yeah, I’m crying.
- RE: Is the 2.5 years wait Brittana?: @_rachelmiller no!! Bigger! Big s%#} happens in this episode. I mean seriously BIG s^##.
- Omg omg omg OMG. It’s happening!!!!
- Ends with BIGGEST #Glee moment ever!!!! You guys are going to flip. I’m so excited for you to watch. Plan parties. Watch with friends.
- Kurt and Blaine: @LuiseAmington they get their turn in following #MichaelJackson episode. Gotta share the love.
3x10 Tim Stack livetweets:
- Watching next week’s “Glee” episode called “Yes/No.” I just laughed out loud within the first 10 minutes. Opening “Grease” number is fun!
- omg this episode is full of crazy developments!!! one couple elopes!!!
- Emma sings again with back-up support from, of all people, Sue and Beiste!!! it’s like a really weird destiny’s child! #glee #yes/no
- MATTHEW. MORRISON. SHAVING. SHIRTLESS.
- OMG. @NeNeLeakes as Coach Roz is HILARIOUS. To Sam: “I’ve never seen lips like that on a white child.”
- GRATUITOUS. SHOTS. OF. CHORD. OVERSTREET. IN. BATHING. SUIT.
- oooh artie, will, finn, mike, puck do “moves like jagger.” yes please. and will is in a tank top.
- oh jeez. major development in finn’s plans for the future.
- the ladies—santana, rachel, mercedes, tina—slay it on “the first time ever i saw your face.”
- Emma’s cray cray ginger prejudiced parents are back!! They’re such jackholes.
- OMG Santana just called Becky a “sly, conniving, bitch!”
- Soooo a McKinely high character sexts another one. You will be surprised as to both sender and receiver.
- This is probably the best performance Jayma Mays has given so far on Glee. really moving.
- Rachel does great, simplified version of Usher’s “Without You.” It’s an ode to Finn.
- YES!! Artie does his testify hand gesture!!! Now the episode is great!
- I never thought I’d say this but this synchronized swimming number is making my eyes mist. AMAZING. huge moment for will & emma.
- “We Found Love” is one of the greatest “Glee” numbers ever. EVER.
- Also it’s a huge Becky episode and she’s just fantastic. Funny and moving.
- HUGE. GIGANTIC. SURPRISE. ENDING. WILL. CHANGE. EVERYTHING.
3x10 Kristin Dos Santos livetweets:
- The guest star surprise after Sam + Mercedes singing “Summer Nights” is hilarious. I see now why I got a note saying not to spoil it.
- Um, surprise wedding. As in, already married. And no, it’s not Will and Emma.
- Aww! Emma is singing to Will in a wedding dress and I’m about to yelp in the middle of this Showtime exec session. (responsible journalist)
- Sam joins synchronized swimming and to the horror of female fans everywhere we have to look at Chord Overstreet wet and mostly naked. UGH.
- Artie, Will + Mike doing Moves Like Jagger is great. I stand by my mike drop protest that M.M. isn’t part of M.J. ep http://tinyurl.com/7g5az84
- Aaaand there it is. A great Brittana moment.
- Brittana moment: @dayecarter, just a glance but it is sweet.
- Will and Emma fans, I dare you to try to watch this episode with crying.
- @alelapazza1, she’s singing Rihanna’s “Without You” to him to right now and it’s fantastic.
- WOW. Last five seconds. Just wow. Stand by for a scoop post.
- Glee Sneak Peek: A Surprise Wedding! Heartbreak for Finn! Exclusive Details on the Next Episode http://eonli.ne/yXw69R
3x10 Michael Ausiello live tweets:
- First up, Sam and Mercedes do “Summer Lovin’” recounting their summer fling for the gang. Fun.
- This mystery is solved in first 5 minutes and I SO guessed wrong (and I’m glad I did)
- Holy matrimony shocker!
- Yo, @MichaelChiklis — you head a name check in next week’s episode. Set the DVR.
- @DavidBoreanaz gets a shout-out too!
- Cool mash-up alert: Artie blends “Moves Like Jagger” with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”.
- Oooh, Britanna ‘shippers, prepare to swoon around the 25-minute mark.
- RE: Rachel: She’s got two really good numbers, including “Without You”
- Episode ends with Rihanna + “We Found Love” + retro swimsuits + big question. Must’ve taken FOREVER to shoot this thing.
- A very different Sue in this episode. And that’s a good thing.
- Holy twist ending!
Valentine’s Day is still a weeks away, but Glee’s already got a honey of a gift wrapped up and waiting for you — next week’s ultraromantic episode! How sweet is the hour, which focuses not just on Will’s proposal to Emma but on (almost) all of the show’s couples? Since one of us has seen it, let me count the ways…
- This nagging mystery is solved in first five minutes, and not in the way that I thought it would be. (And for once, I’m glad I was wrong!)
- Sam and Mercedes recount their months-long fling with a rousing rendition of “Summer Lovin’.”
- Michael Chiklis gets a shout-out from Sue. Ditto David Boreanaz. (The latter fares better than the former, but both are equally hilarious.)
- One couple elopes, and you’ll never guess which one. (Although, hey, you’re welcome to try. Hit the comments below… )
- Not only do we get to see Emma in a wedding gown, we get to see Sue and Bieste as her bridesmaids. One of their dresses is really pretty. The other two? Erm…
- We called it! A new triangle (sorta) takes shape between Becky, Artie and Sugar! In other Becky news, she has a scene with the kinder, gentler Sue that is probably my favorite ever.
- Finn gets some rather traumatic news about his [SPOILER] that will have serious implications on his future.
- Sue checks the chip on her shoulder long enough to play guidance counselor to Artie. And — shocker — the role suits her.
- NeNe Leaks’ cameo as Sam’s synchronized swimming coach isn’t the worst thing ever. In fact, she’s pretty funny. Upon meeting Sam for the first time, she sasses, “I’ve never seen lips like that on a while child.”
- Artie gives Will some advice on proposing to Emma, then schools his teacher with a seamless-sounding mash-up of “Moves Like Jagger” with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”
- Will chooses [spoiler] as his best man.
- Santana, Rachel, Mercedes and Tina sing “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and flash back to meeting their respective sweethearts, Brittany, Finn, Sam and Mike. (Britanna fans, prepare to hit the rewind button a lot.)
- When Will asks Emma’s parents for permission to marry her, it goes about as well as it might have if he’d asked Sue if he could become a Cheerio. Later, he and Emma have an especially moving moment. (Jayma Mays nails it!)
- The episode climaxes with an amazeballs synchronized swimming number, with the whole gang performing Rihanna’s “We Found Love” in McKinley’s swimming pool as part of Will’s surprise proposal. It must’ve taken forever to shoot this thing, and you know what? It was worth it. It is ridiculously over the top. Unbelievably cheesy. Crazy romantic. And you’re gonna love every second of it. (I sure did.)
- And just when you think the episode is over, there’s an outta nowhere twist that will have [SPOILER] ‘shippers calling an emergency meeting!
After joining Glee with a rousing performance of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream” during the second season, Darren Criss instantly became one of the hit show’s most recognizable cast members. Now a beloved series regular as the flamboyant Blaine, the 24-year-old is branching out (sort of) with a quick stint on Broadway this month in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. Criss spoke about fending off moms and teen girls on the Glee tour, his upcoming turn opposite Kristen Wiig in the raunchy adult comedy Imogene, and why his parents grounded him before his prom.
DETAILS: Considering you play a gay guy on Glee, it’s funny that Michele Bachmann wanted a photo with you at this year’s Time 100 event.
Darren Criss: I never let my politics supersede my manners. She came up with her husband and they were sweet as can be. She was like, “My kids love the show. I don’t watch it myself, but I’d love it if you could sign these postcards.” It dawned on me that she didn’t know what the hell Glee was.
DETAILS: Where did you find time in your Glee schedule to rehearse a Broadway show?
Darren Criss: I had my homework cut out for me. Glee is an interesting game. They’ll say, “You’re not shooting tomorrow. But you have to record two songs and you have dance rehearsal and you might have a fitting.” When I wasn’t doing all of that, I tried to have dance rehearsals for How to Succeed.
DETAILS: Daniel Radcliffe has been starring in this revival of How to Succeed. Has he given you any advice?
Darren Criss: I’ve never met Daniel. We’ve been ships passing in the night on several occasions. I’m sure we’ll meet at some point and I’m sure he’ll want to pass whatever baton he has. It’s kind of a cool dynasty to follow—with Robert Morse and Matthew Broderick [also having played the role].
DETAILS: How will your Finch differ from Radcliffe’s?
Darren Criss: Daniel’s bow tie was blue. Mine will be purple. We’ll each have our own calling card.
DETAILS: You have to wear a bow tie on Glee, too. What gives?
Darren Criss: I don’t know, man. I’ve been pigeonholed.
DETAILS: But you’ll be shifting gears to play cougar bait in Kristen Wiig’s next movie, Imogene—right?
Darren Criss: It’s fun to say that I’m the young love interest, but the film is more about how these two people find each other at this place in their life and strike up an unlikely relationship. It’s not like I’m with Stifler’s mom.
DETAILS: Yet moms love you. Ever get cornered by one backstage on the Glee tour?
Darren Criss: What’s funny is that the moms always feel like they have to qualify everything. “I’m here for my daughter. Can I get a picture?” You don’t have to apologize for liking Glee. My joke is, the fans are either 16 or 60. What I wouldn’t give to have someone come back who wasn’t a mom or a teenager.
DETAILS: You missed your senior prom when you were a teenager after your parents grounded you. What happened?
Darren Criss: I climbed out the window to go to a movie. When I got home, my mom was asleep in my bed. My parents were groovy, but they wanted me to learn that there were consequences and I couldn’t talk my way out of everything.
DETAILS: That’s it? A movie?
Darren Criss: I felt like I was doing a drug deal or something. The worst thing I’d ever done in my life was eat ice cream in the living room after eight.
DETAILS: Any R-rated stories from the tour?
Darren Criss: You won’t hear those from me. Those are for my own private Behind the Music in my head.
DETAILS: You were the fan favorite. Do the other cast members get jealous?
Darren Criss: I don’t know about that. We’re all in this together.
DETAILS: What’s it like getting so much attention so early in your career?
Darren Criss: Hollywood is a strange, strange thing. I feel like I’ve been invited to a very exclusive ball and I’m just trying to make nice with everybody and hope that if they kick me out they’ll at least give me a ride home.
DETAILS: Has there been a most surreal moment during your meteoric rise?
Darren Criss: It was at Prince Azim of Brunei’s birthday party in the middle of the English countryside. He’s a fan of Glee. I never thought I would meet Mariah Carey, but I really never thought I’d be introduced to her by Whitney Houston. She’s like, “Hey, baby, this is Mariah.” I’m like, “I know. I’m Darren. I don’t know what I’m doing here.”
Get ready to see Helen Mirren guest star on an upcoming episode and of Glee! Helen dished to OK! on the red carpet last night of the National Board of Review Awards Gala in NYC about her love of the show and favorite member of the Glee cast.
Helen revealed to reporters that she’s already taped her appearance on the show.
“I’ve done it. It was really fun,” she said. “I love that show. “
Helen didn’t want to play favorites with the cast, but she ended up doing it anyways!
“Oh, I don’t have a favorite. They’re all great. I love the guy in the wheelchair, actually,” Helen admitted. “They did an episode where he gets up and dances. Did you ever see that?”
Oh yes we did!
So what does Helen love so much about Kevin McHale (aka “the guy in the wheelchair”)?
“He’s got a great voice,” Helen told OK!. “He’s a really good actor and that episode where he suddenly got up and danced, it was so moving. It made me cry.”
“And he’s a great dancer! You know, there’s this great dancer who has to spend his life in the wheel chair…” she explained of his moving character.